`Hinduism is the world’s third most popular religion, with around 750 million followers. The religion of Hinduism originated in Northern India, near the river Indus, about 4000 years ago and is the world’s oldest existing religion’.
facebook profile frame: you can use the Lord Ganapathy frame for your own facebook profile. Access it on my own page.
Hindu Deities – infographics soon
Hindu Auspicious Events /Days :
As many know, Hinduism is just full of so many events, fasting days, auspicious dates.. So this is just a part of that spectrum.. (one’s that are of interest to me at the moment..where I do Hindu magical works).
The actual dates for 2017/ 2018 will be updated under here .
Monthly events :
-Prathosham – special day for Shiva worship (bi monthly)
– Sathurthi – special day for Ganapathy (monthly)
– Ekathasi – special day for Vishnu (monthly)
Annual events :
– Thai Pongal –14th January – New Year. Hindu Calendar begins. First month is called `Thai’ (in Tamil). Hence this is the date of 1st day of month of Thai. This day is generally celebrated by worship of the Sun. The following day is called `Mattu Pongal’ (Tamil word Madu means Cow.. ) it is when farmers honour farm animals, and also at this time they return to their fields and begin a new cycle of growing crops..
– Thai Poosam – Major religious festival for the warrior God Murugan. This is the day when his mother Parvathy gives Murugan the sacred spear, with which he later defeats demons.
– Shiva Rathri – Sacred night of God Shiva. It is when he takes on the form of an infinite flame..which the other Gods Vishnu and Bramha tried to explore and failed. (See full blog on this below).
– Lord Raman’s sacred time begins. Ramayanm (Hindu epic) reading in temples begin.
– Rama Navami – Birthday of Lord Raman, an incarnation of God Vishnu. Blog post coming soon on Raman. For Blog post on Incarnations of Vishnu, see link below.
– Hanuman Jayanthi – special day for honouring Hanuman, the monkey Lord. See blog post below.
– Tamil New Year (begining of the Spring month)
– Varaluxmi Pooja – sacred day for worshipping of Luxmi (Lakshmi) Goddess of Love & wealth (equivalent of Venus). She was born of the churning of the seas, and God Vishnu marries her.
– Vinayagar Sathurthi /Chaturthi – Birthday of God Ganapathy / Ganesh celebrated .( It falls on the fourth day after new moon in the Hindu month of Bhadrapada). .The festival begins with the installation of huge elaborately crafted statutes of Ganesha in homes and podiums, which have been especially constructed and beautifully decorated. It’s forbidden to look at the moon on this first night as legend had it the moon laughed at Lord Ganesha when he fell from his vehicle, the rat. On Ananta Chaturdasi (the last day), the statues are paraded through the streets, accompanied by much singing and dancing, and then immersed in the ocean or other bodies of water. (see below for blog)
– Navarathri begins . Nine nights of the Goddess festival/ rituals for Durga, Luxmi & Saraswathy. (see below for blog)
— Saraswathy Pooja.
– Vijayathasami (vijayadhasami) – the 10th day after Navarathri festivals is celebrated as a day of victory and special day (also said to be when Lord Raman returned to his kingdom, with his wife Sita and brother Lakshman, after having been exiled in the forest for 14 years). see below for blog
– Deevali / Diwali (Deepavali – Tamil for path of light) – 18h Oct’17- major Hindu festival of light.
– Kanthashashti fasting (viratham) begins – 20th Oct’17- sacred time of worship for Murugan, god of war (brother of God Ganesh)
– Kanthashashti (skanthashashti) – final day of the sacred rituals for Murugan. 18th November – Thurukalyanam- wedding of Murugan)
– *Sooran Por (demon war) – – Murugan defeats the Demon. (exact date tbc) see below for blog/ video
–ThuruKalyanam – – Lord Muragan’s wedding to Vali & Theyvanai, after Lord Murugan defeats the demon.
– Karthikai Villakeedu – – Day of light for all hearth & homes. Homes are decorated with many small lamps on doorways, entrances.
– *Vinayagar Sashti
My Blog posts on Hinduism
Hindu / Psychic development blogs
My Hindu path – (woven through Paganism & Magic):
Note: I was brought up as a Hindu, and lived in Sri Lanka till I was 15 yrs. Then I came to United Kingdom as a refugee. At the age of 25 I began exploring western Paganism, ritual magic and psychic development (Initiated Wiccan & High Priest). This continued for some 20 yrs. I am now on a path of re-exploration of Hindu myths & religious practices, albeit on a deep magical level. My blogs reflect these. – Mani